UEFI is becoming more and more common while several people say “BIOS” instead of UEFI. BIOS is the acronym of Basic Input Output System and it’s not the same as UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface).
UEFI vs BIOS
The BIOS is executing the first sector on a hard disk and then it runs additional codes. The possibilities are limited in BIOS and this is the reason of the UEFI presence. BIOS runs in 16-bit mode and UEFI is more up-to-date to modern system environments.
The UEFI is loading by using .efi program files. The .efi files are located on the EFI System Partition.
UEFI is faster than BIOS. The hardware check is much faster in the UEFI.
There is a Secure Boot feature in UEFI but it can collide with Linux boot loaders because UEFI checks loader signature.
If you use Microsoft OS then you can not boot your Windows from bigger HDD than 2TB with MBR but you can use it to store data as a secondary HDD. MBR is used for BIOS and GPT is for UEFI. You need GPT and UEFI if you have bigger HDD than 2 TB and you would like to boot Microsoft Windows.
Here in the battle of UEFI vs BIOS, the UEFI is the winner.
Windows 8 and Linux
If you would like to use Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 then you need a computer with UEFI to have the full functionality of Windows 8.
If you prefer to use Linux operating system then booting in BIOS mode is better even you have UEFI. It’s because of the Secure Boot feature.
Installing Windows / Linux with UEFI
If you want to install or reinstall your operating system, then you need to disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot in the UEFI settings.
Enabled Secure Boot and Fast Boot prevent the installation of operating systems.
April 23, 2014 2
Subscribe to be updated
- How to Create A New User With Home Directory in Linux 3,478 views | 2 comments
- Php Mysql Select Birthdays Between the Last and Next 7 Days 2,311 views | 0 comments
- Structured Data (Author/Updated) Errors In Google Webmaster Tools 1,846 views | 20 comments
- Total Commander Alternative On Linux: Midnight Commander 1,789 views | 0 comments
- Ustream: Broadcast Yourself 1,678 views | 4 comments
- MLM Without Contacting Friends And Family Members 1,612 views | 0 comments
- How to Include a File from Document Root in PHP 1,611 views | 1 comment
- How to Make Money Online without Affiliate Marketing 1,469 views | 0 comments
- The Easiest Method for Php Mysql Connection 1,153 views | 0 comments
- CentOS 6.4 Does Not Receive IP Address In VirtualBox 4.3.2 1,012 views | 3 comments